Connect with us

Border Patrol In Texas Detains 1000 From Migrant Caravan In One Day

Published

on

Via El Paso Times:

“The influx of Central American migrants topped more than 1,000 detentions Wednesday in El Paso, straining U.S. Border Patrol resources, officials warned.

Migrant crossings continued Thursday with groups walking across the Rio Grande from Executive Center Boulevard in West El Paso to the area near Yarbrough Drive and the Zaragoza Bridge in the Lower Valley.

More than 1,000 men, women and children were detained by the end of Wednesday in El Paso after crossing the border onto U.S. soil to surrender to agents along the border fence, said Border Patrol Agent Jose Romero, an agency spokesman.

“The challenge is that the numbers are not a record, but back then (more than a decade ago) we were dealing mostly with adult Mexican males, which means we could arrest, process and remove them to their country of origin in hours,” Romero said.

DONATE NOW TO BUILD THE WALL WITH BRIAN KOLFAGE, CLICK HERE

The number of detentions Wednesday is more than double the daily average and includes only El Paso and not the Border Patrol’s entire El Paso Sector, which covers all of New Mexico and part of West Texas, Romero added.

Most of those detained are Central American migrants seeking asylum. The number of migrants has been growing for weeks, and they have filled shelters in Juárez, Mexico.

The huge number of migrants is also straining Border Patrol resources, Romero said.

“We have a shortage of manpower, plus our agents are being pulled to secondary duties, such as processing, feeding and transportation” of detainees, Romero said.

The Border Patrol is “utilizing different tools, including the wall, to maintain control,” Romero explained. “First and foremost, border security is our primary mission.”

The agency has repeatedly warned that the migrants who are surrendering en masse are being used as a diversion to mask criminal activities.

“The groups are being crossed strategically by the cartels to create security gaps to push through the rapists and felons, the criminal aliens,” Romero said. “They are the ones who aren’t coming and turning themselves in.”

U.S. Customs and Border Protection leaders this week said the U.S. faces a “border security and humanitarian crisis” while highlighting the rise in apprehensions in El Paso.

Immigrant shelters busy in El Paso

A network of temporary immigrant shelters in El Paso-Las Cruces is filling up as migrants are released from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement custody.

“We still have our head above water, but I don’t know for how long,” said Ruben Garcia, executive director of Annunciation House, which coordinates the shelter network.

Shelters have received nearly 2,500 migrants this week. By comparison, shelters were receiving about 200 migrants a week about a year ago, Garcia said.

It is difficult to know why migrants are now choosing to cross at the El Paso-Juárez border, said Garcia, who is concerned the region is becoming the border’s main migrant crossing site.

Migrants usually stay about two days at temporary shelters in El Paso before making their way to their destinations in other parts of the United States.

“We have started receiving some families from Angola, the Congo, African nations,” Garcia said. “Some have no one to go to (in the U.S.), and they aren’t going to go on. That’s a particular concern.”

Garcia previously had described 2018 as the “busiest year ever” for local immigrant shelters. But current trends could surpass last year.

Immigration numbers historically increase in the spring months of March, April and May as the weather gets warmer.”

DONATE NOW TO BUILD THE WALL WITH BRIAN KOLFAGE, CLICK BELOW:

This is IMPORTANT. If you donated before January 11th and you want your contribution to go towards CONSTRUCTION of the WALL, you need to tell GoFundMe by clicking the link below:

OPT-IN TO HAVE YOUR MONEY GO TOWARDS BUILDING THE WALL HERE

Anyone who donated before January 11th has 90 days to tell GoFundMe to use their contribution to build the wall.

If you donated after January 11th, you don’t have to do anything.

To donate to Kolfage’s wall fund, go to the official GoFundMe account HERE

CHECK DONATIONS:
We Build the Wall, Inc.
PO Box 131567 Houston, Texas 77219-1567

The official wall fundraiser & construction site is at www.webuildthewall.us
Follow Brian Kolfage on Twitter HERE
Like his verified Facebook page HERE

Contacts:
Jennifer Lawrence – Communications Director
media@webuildthewall.us
Cell: 845-800-1552

Story compiled by Jeff Rainforth for We Build the Wall, Inc.

Facebook Comments

 

Join the conversation!

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please hover over that comment, click the ∨ icon, and mark it as spam. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.

Trending Now on We Build the Wall News


Ninth Circuit Dismisses Steinle Family Lawsuit Against San Francisco For Sanctuary

Published

on

...

* By

We need the wall so there are no more Kate Steinles.

Via San Francisco Examiner:

“A federal appeals court on Monday upheld the dismissal of a negligence claim against the city of San Francisco and a former sheriff by the parents of a woman killed by a bullet from a gun held by an undocumented immigrant.

Kate Steinle, 32, was killed while walking on Pier 14 in SanFrancisco on July 1, 2015 by a ricocheting bullet from a gun held by Jose Ines Garcia Zarate.

Garcia Zarate, a Mexican citizen with a history of drug convictions and illegal reentries after deportation, was released from San Francisco county jail two and a half months earlier.

Steinle’s parents claimed the city and former Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi were negligent in failing to honor a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement request for notification of the release.

But a three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco said that while federal laws require the sharing of some information with ICE, the laws “plainly and unambiguously” do not require notification of release dates.

The court said Mirkarimi was acting within his discretion when he issued a 2015 memo limiting the amount of information jail staff could give federal authorities about the release of undocumented immigrants.

The panel upheld a similar ruling by U.S. Magistrate Judge Joseph Spero in 2017 dismissing the claim against the city and the sheriff in the lawsuit filed by parents James Steinle and Elizabeth Sullivan.

But the lawsuit still retains a claim against the U.S. Bureau of Land Management that the parents can seek to take to trial.

The gun held by Garcia Zarate was stolen four days earlier from a sports utility vehicle that an off-duty ranger had parked along the Embarcadero several blocks from Pier 14. The parents claim the ranger violated a duty to secure the loaded handgun properly.

Garcia Zarate was acquitted in a San Francisco Superior Court trial of Steinle’s murder, but was convicted of being an ex-felon in possession of a gun. He is appealing that conviction. He has contended he found the gun wrapped in rags under a bench and that it fired accidentally when he picked it up.

Andrea Guzman, a spokesperson for City Attorney Dennis Herrera, said in a statement, “Kathryn Steinle’s death was a senseless tragedy. As a city, we are heartbroken for her family and continue to grieve for their loss.

“The issue before the court was whether the city and its taxpayers can be held liable under these circumstances for the actions of a former inmate. The appellate court affirmed that the city is not liable and that federal law did not compel the sheriff to act differently than he did,” the statement continued.

“The court’s ruling allows the city to decide what policies are best to protect all of its residents and make communities safer,” the statement said.

A representative of the parents’ lawyers was not immediately available for comment.

Mirkarimi’s memo was based on a city law, known as the San Francisco sanctuary ordinance, that limits cooperation with federal immigration authorities except when required by federal or state law.

The memo generally prohibited employees from providing non-public information, including release dates or times, to ICE representatives except when required by a warrant, court order or federal or state law.

Circuit Judge Mark Bennett, a recent appointee of President Donald Trump, wrote that the local rule barring most notifications of release was a policy decision outside the province of the court.

“The tragic and unnecessary death of Steinle may well underscore the policy argument against Sheriff Mirkarimi’s decision to bar his employees from providing the release date of a many-times convicted felon to ICE,” Bennett said in the decision.

“But that policy argument can be acted upon only by California’s state and municipal political branches of government, or perhaps by Congress — but not by federal judges,” Bennett wrote for the court.

In the decision’s conclusion, Bennett reiterated, “Our holding today makes no judgment as to whether or not the policy established by the memo was wise or prudent. That is not our job.”

Garcia Zarate was transferred to the sheriff’s custody on March 26, 2015 to face a previous marijuana-selling charge after he completed a nearly four-year federal sentence for illegal re-entry following deportation. When the marijuana charge was dropped, he was released from the city jail on April 15.”

DONATE NOW TO BUILD THE WALL WITH BRIAN KOLFAGE, CLICK BELOW:

This is IMPORTANT. If you donated before January 11th and you want your contribution to go towards CONSTRUCTION of the WALL, you need to tell GoFundMe by clicking the link below:

OPT-IN TO HAVE YOUR MONEY GO TOWARDS BUILDING THE WALL HERE

Anyone who donated before January 11th has 90 days to tell GoFundMe to use their contribution to build the wall.

If you donated after January 11th, you don’t have to do anything.

To donate to Kolfage’s wall fund, go to the official GoFundMe account HERE

CHECK DONATIONS:
We Build the Wall, Inc.
PO Box 131567 Houston, Texas 77219-1567

The official wall fundraiser & construction site is at www.webuildthewall.us
Follow Brian Kolfage on Twitter HERE
Like his verified Facebook page HERE

Contacts:
Jennifer Lawrence – Communications Director
media@webuildthewall.us
Cell: 845-800-1552

Story compiled by Jeff Rainforth for We Build the Wall, Inc.

Facebook Comments

Continue Reading

ICE Seeks Removal Of Illegal Alien Involved In Boston Shooting

Published

on

...

* By

Via Boston Herald:

“A man police say was involved in a shooting that left a broken window at the Prudential Center Sunday has been in the country illegally and is now facing deportation, according to federal agents.

U.S Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokesman John Mohan said in a statement Monday the agency placed an immigration detainer on Mario Escobar, a citizen of Honduras, who is in the country illegally.

“ICE’s Enforcement and Removal Operations Boston has lodged an immigration detainer on Mario Escobar-Flores a citizen of Honduras unlawfully present in the United States, following his arrest by the Boston Police Department on local charges,” the statement said. ICE “will seek his removal following resolution of the local charges.”

Escobar, 28, who lives in Roxbury, and Carlos Perez-Mejia, 25, of Jamaica Plain, were arrested sometime after 2 a.m. Sunday after police responded to a radio call for shots fired outside the window of a car near the Back Bay Social Club on Boylston Street.

Police later found ballistic damage to a window on the 11th floor of 888 Boylston St., part of the Prudential Center complex.

According to an incident report, Escobar was the driver of the vehicle while Perez-Mejia was in the passenger seat. Police said they located a 9 mm Ruger handgun inside a bag underneath the passenger seat during a search.

According to the report, Perez-Mejia was yelling to “let my homeboy go, he’s good,” during the encounter with police.

The report also said Perez-Mejia later told police: “Yo, I’ve been through this before and beat it. That’s why I don’t care if I get the 18 months.”

The two were arraigned at Boston Municipal Court on Monday, where prosecutor Mariah O’Rourke asked that the men be held on $20,000 bail each.

Judge Tracy-Lee Lyons set Perez-Mejia’s cash bail at $10,000 and Escobar’s at $4,500 and ordered both to have GPS bracelets along with set curfews. Escobar’s court-appointed attorney Lauren Thomas argued that by Perez-Mejia’s own admission, her client had little involvement in the incident. Not guilty pleas were entered on their behalf.

Thomas said Escobar has been in the U.S. since he was 10 years old and had a “very strong support structure in the community.””

DONATE NOW TO BUILD THE WALL WITH BRIAN KOLFAGE, CLICK BELOW:

This is IMPORTANT. If you donated before January 11th and you want your contribution to go towards CONSTRUCTION of the WALL, you need to tell GoFundMe by clicking the link below:

OPT-IN TO HAVE YOUR MONEY GO TOWARDS BUILDING THE WALL HERE

Anyone who donated before January 11th has 90 days to tell GoFundMe to use their contribution to build the wall.

If you donated after January 11th, you don’t have to do anything.

To donate to Kolfage’s wall fund, go to the official GoFundMe account HERE

CHECK DONATIONS:
We Build the Wall, Inc.
PO Box 131567 Houston, Texas 77219-1567

The official wall fundraiser & construction site is at www.webuildthewall.us
Follow Brian Kolfage on Twitter HERE
Like his verified Facebook page HERE

Contacts:
Jennifer Lawrence – Communications Director
media@webuildthewall.us
Cell: 845-800-1552

Story compiled by Jeff Rainforth for We Build the Wall, Inc.

Facebook Comments

Continue Reading

Copyright © 2019 We Build the Wall News. All rights reserved. We Build the Wall Inc. is a Florida non-profit tax-exempt advocacy organization under section 501(c)(4) of the Internal Revenue Code. Contributions or gifts to We Build the Wall are not tax deductible for IRS purposes. Not paid for at taxpayer expense.

Send this to a friend